Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Geodelic's New Android App



I downloaded Geodelic's new Android app to my Hero last night.  Overall it's pretty good.  One thing I don't understand is why they are calling it a beta.  It looks very similar to Sherpa which Geodelic makes exclusively  for T-Mobile. It gives similar results to other apps out there(ie Yelp).  The interface is different from what I have seen before.  Although the carousel look is neat, it is too sensitive to touch.  With just the slightest touch of the screen you will move one or two search results over from where you were.  The same goes for the category bar on the top.

The Geodelic app gets it's search results based on your location. It gets it's location in one of 3 ways, GPS, Wi-fi (still trying to figure this one out), and manual entry.  I have had intermittent issues with the GPS being able to get my location even though all of the other apps I have that require GPS find my location fine.  The Wi-fi location finder is way off.  The closest I have been able to get to my actual location is 10 miles.  They would have been better off using cellular based location if GPS was unavailable.  At least that should get you within a mile or so of your location.  If the app can not  find your location it will give you an error. When the error is acknowledged the app shuts down.

I have used the email provide by Geodelic for feedback on the app.  Given that this is a "beta" hopefully they will look into some of these issues.

1 comment: